internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] RR business class performance?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] RR business class performance?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:29:34 -0500

michael AT czeiszperger.org wrote:
Is anyone else using RoadRunner's Business Class service around here? If so, what type of performance are you getting? I'm measuring 2.4Mbps down and 244kbps up, but the latency has been killing our VOIP lately...

Not totally on the subject, but I have RR at home, but not for long.

Latency has been unacceptably high. Connections are also being dropped. Sometimes I have to click a URL 4 or 5 times to get it to load.

I have been using/testing the Clearwire wireless internet for a couple of weeks now and will probably go with them for a one year contract.

Overall bandwidth is lower (like DSL), but latency is acceptably low (I don't have exact numbers..)

I have streamed video and it runs without interruption once buffered (Adult Swim Fix)

It works fine with my Vonage VOIP also.

Most importantly it works better with the VPN that my wife uses daily :-)

Now that Time-Warner has moved Food Network from channel 77 to channel 60, I have even less reason to subscribe to basic cable. I may soon be Time-Warner free!

--Tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org