internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Water Heater Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sarah Ovenall <sovenall AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Water Heater Recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:19:42 -0500

At 3:11 PM -0500 2/1/07, Scott Lundgren wrote:
I don't need a water heater right now but I'd never heard of such a thing and read through the site. Of course being the vendor's website they don't mention the down sides of this approach. Does anyone know
why one wouldn't want this design ?

I have a tankless water heater and I love it, but these are the downsides in my experience:

1. It's expensive to install compared to a traditional water heater, especially if you have to run a gas line as we did.
2. It takes a bit longer for the water to run hot, and the further the tap is from the heater, the longer it takes. Really big houses need multiple heaters.
3. The tankless heater saves money by not keeping hot water sitting there all the time. But if you have a big family and use hot water all day long, you'll see less of that savings. (On the other hand, if you have lots of people taking showers every day, running out of hot water might be a problem which the tankless heater would solve.)

It was the best solution for me because:
1. The only place where the water heater tank could go, it kept rusting out. Including the cost in having to replace the tank every couple-three years made the tankless heater not so expensive.
2. My house is small and no faucet is that far from the heater.
3. I don't have kids and don't use that much hot water. So it's perfect for
me.