internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CMS for a nonprofit

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CMS for a nonprofit
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:00:57 -0500

I'm impressed with Drupal.

The hard part of a content management system (for a nontechie like me) is getting started. Once you've downloaded it, how do you go about configuring it?

For the first site, http://www.rtpnet.org/civicrm/ , I used the CivicSpace download. The software was out of date, but it was easy to get started with a lot of stuff and learn to enable modules, check settings, check blocks, and then go to access control to define the permissions for each user role. And it was easy to try out different themes. I started some instructions in that site, http://www.rtpnet.org/civicrm/instructions/basics and http://www.rtpnet.org/civicrm/instructions/admins

I just started http://rtpnet.org/hallman/drupal . It has the Drupal download, and then (so far) the contributed modules front_page, organic groups (og), views, flexinode, and event. I'm particularly interested in organic groups and events. I'm about to download some civicrm stuff and see what that looks like. I've got a long way to go before this site will be useful.

Instructions are hard to find. I'm using Google a lot.

Judy Hallman (hallman AT rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman)
Executive Director, RTPnet, NC (http://www.rtpnet.org)

Tony Spencer wrote:

I agree with Tanner on this one. Drupal is hot though. You can do just about anything with it.