internetworkers - [internetworkers] /etc/hosts & blocking ads served on web pages

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: nkramer <curvyart AT gmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] /etc/hosts & blocking ads served on web pages
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:49:01 -0400

Oh wondrous geeks - I bow before you seeking guidance.

I want to block ads from web pages I browse, which I used to have set
up on my old laptop and can't quite get set up on my current system.
In theory, this is very simple. I add entries to
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts redirecting the ad-serving
hostnames to the void, and voila! Better browsing. There's even a
compilation of entries at http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html.

So, I updated my c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, making
sure not to give it a filename extension, and rebooted. I cleared
cache and downloaded files, and I still get the same garbage around
the content on web sites. I hate the looped video ads and blinking
things - blech!

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? This is on Windows Xp
Professional.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe (Thanks in advance),
Nancy