internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] /etc/hosts & blocking ads served on web pages

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] /etc/hosts & blocking ads served on web pages
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:34:57 -0400

On Sep 15, 2006, at 5:49 PM, nkramer wrote:

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? This is on Windows Xp Professional.

Hm, it looks like you've got the file path right. Here are some ideas off the top of my head. NOTE that I assume below that your HOSTS file is blocking ad.doubleclick.net--if not, add it first.

Simplify things a bit by browsing directly to http:// ad.doubleclick.net. If you see a DoubleClick web page, but you suspect the cache is telling lies, try pinging the domain from the DOS shell:

> ping ad.doubleclick.net

You'll see an IP address reported back, which should be 127.0.0.1 (or 0.0.0.0, or whatever you set in the HOSTS file). If not, your HOSTS file is indeed being ignored.

Here's one possible explanation, from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ hostsfaq.htm#Proxy
-----
If you are connected to the Internet using AOL, a custom dialer provided by your ISP, through a Local Area Network (LAN) connection or a remote proxy server these procedures (using a HOSTS file) may not be effective.
Using a remote proxy server which basically does the DNS requesting for you does prevent the HOSTS file from being considered. In other words ...Your browser will route its request through your proxy server before your machine looks up an entry in Hosts.
-----

Hope this helps,

=jimA=

Jim Allman