internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Local phone wiring

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "jeremy snyder" <halffinn AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Local phone wiring
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:22:24 +0000

wade,

i've done this with my vonage line. it's a piece of cake. there are two easy options.

1. hook your vonage router up somewhere where you don't really care about having a phone. then, just take a standard phone cable from your vonage router straight to one of the phone wall jacks. that should give you dial tone over the rest of the jacks in the house

2. this is the more complicated option, and the one i did. plug your vonage router in somewhere near the phone box for your house. take a standard phone cable and cut the RJ11 jack off of one end. patch that end down on one of the terminators on the phone block. plug the other end, which still has an RJ 11 jack on it, into the out put of the vonage router.

either should work. the advantage of option 2 is that you don't lose a jack in your house. but the disadvantage is of course that it's pretty obviously more complicated.

good luck,
- jeremy