internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Car needs a paint job

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Car needs a paint job
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:21:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, S B wrote:
I have a 97 Honda Civic Hatchback (97k miles) that's suffering from clearcoat
failure on the roof - about 30% of the base coat is currently exposed, and
it's getting worse.
We took it to a local paint shop I've used in the past to repair collision
damage, but their quote seemed excessive.
There is a significant amount of life left in the car itself so I'd like to
fix the problem before the roof metal itself is damaged, though the age of
the car means it doesn't have to be a pristine job.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a shop that can do a reasonable job?
(ideally in the North Raleigh area)
Since the affected area is self contained flat/square (i.e. not much
blending-in etc), is it something I could do myself ?

A lot of places are going to want to paint the whole car, reason being is after 9 years there is fading and the factory color probably won't match. Most likely you don't even notice the fading unless you hold a paint chip up against the car. There are a bunch of paint shops that do discount paint jobs and these are fine as long as there is no real body work to be done. The biggest key to a good paint job is the prep work, this is where the discount shops will skimp as it's a lot more labor. There are a whole slew of body/paint shops concentrated on South Saunders St., Coats being my choice (about a block from Ray Price Harley-Davidson) but I'd get a few estimates that not only include price but what they think it will take to do it correctly.

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1960 International B100
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead) 1990 Ducati 750 Sport