internetworkers - [internetworkers] car repair, NOT for an import

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] car repair, NOT for an import
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:21:46 -0400

Hey y'all;

At the risk of destroying my treehugger liberal image, I'm admitting to
the group that I drive an American-made SUV. (I also buy carbon offset
credits for it, but that's a different post) And, well, it needs work.
Probably a lot of work. And some of it on hard-to-diagnose, intermittent
problems that might not even be seen as problems by anyone who isn't as
picky as me. Y'all did such a great job helping out Susan L. when she
needed to find a garage for her Honda, I'm hoping you can help me out,
too. So, here I am: I need someone knowledgeable about Jeeps, and good
at troubleshooting. It's a '98 Cherokee, with the inline 6 and a manual
transmission.

Back when I used to have a Honda, I took it to WASP in Durham (the one
that got demolished in the I-85 widening). I loved them, but at that
time, they wouldn't work on any car that wasn't of specific Japanese
makes (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, as I recall). I wouldn't expect them to
be Masters of the Jeep.

When I got the Jeep, I mostly had warranty work for a long time, which
of course meant go to the dealer. After the warrantly ran out, I went
back there for a while, and got fairly decent service for all the basic
stuff (tuneups, brakes, etc), but as time went on, they often seemed to
fall back on random high-dollar suggestions for odd problems that really
just needed good troubleshooting.

I tried taking the Jeep to Transport Station in far-north Durham, as I'd
heard many good things about them, but they badly misdiagnosed the
problem I was having at the time, resulting in me speding money I
shouldn't have had to. Also, they are way the heck out there, and even
though I live in sort-of north Durham, I work in RTP, which makes
driving even further north to a garage very difficult.

I'd like to find a place either near RTP, or near central Durham.
Everyone raves so much about White-Wall in Raleigh, but I just can't go
that far and expect to get a lift to or from work. Surely there has to
be a decent garage in Durham for non-Asian cars???

Paula C.