internetworkers - [internetworkers] does the cliet have the right to have my source code?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Márcia <marcia AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] does the cliet have the right to have my source code?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:05:42 -0400

Hello everybody,

I have a question for you independent consultants/freelancers.

I have a new client who's making me sign a contract giving him all the rights to have, alter, reuse and pretty much resell any of my source code, created for any project we do together.

Is this right? I do understand that, everything I create while employed, pretty much belongs to my employer. But we will not have an employer / employee relationship in this case. My client will be purchasing a solution, a final deliverable, which does not give him the right to also have all my source files.... right?

If I really like a bakery's cake, I can order it as many times as I want, but that will not give me the right to also have the recipe!

I could, maybe, charge extra for the source files?

Any comments, suggestions, personal experiences?

Thanks!
Marcia