internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Send Policy Framework?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Tower <jason AT cerient.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Send Policy Framework?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:28:40 -0400

i have a spf record for my domain, i don't have an effective way to gage its effectiveness but it's trivial to set up if you have control over your dns.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> cerient.net txt

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cerient.net. 86400 IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

i believe that most of the big boys in email (aol, yahoo, gmail, etc) are doing spf lookups and enforcement. however, i don't know how easy it is to enforce spf on a mail server that you might run yourself, haven't really bothered to look. but that's a secondary issue, if you have active domains you should definitely set up a spf record for yourself. i have three clients whose domain was used in forged spam email and it was a major headache for them, spf records likely would have at least mitigated the problem.

jason

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
http://www.openspf.org/

I was wondering what the word was on this spam reduction initiative. Verizon is rejecting email sent from my company and asking us if we have SPF records.

"Kindness knows no shame" -- S. Wonder
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/