internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Send Policy Framework?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Send Policy Framework?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:43:16 -0400

on Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:28:40AM -0400, Jason Tower wrote:
> i have a spf record for my domain, i don't have an effective way to gage
> its effectiveness but it's trivial to set up if you have control over
> your dns.

That's true.

> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> cerient.net txt
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> cerient.net. 86400 IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

And that's meaningless. It just says "mail from this domain might come
from anywhere with a cerient.net hostname". Nothing stops me from
publishing a PTR defining my IP as 'foo.cerient.net'.

> i believe that most of the big boys in email (aol, yahoo, gmail, etc)
> are doing spf lookups and enforcement.

Nope. They may be doing lookups, but nobody is doing enforcement, not
even hotmail (who just give you a scary warning if the sender lacks SPF
or SenderID records).

> however, i don't know how easy
> it is to enforce spf on a mail server that you might run yourself,
> haven't really bothered to look. but that's a secondary issue, if you
> have active domains you should definitely set up a spf record for
> yourself.

If you want to give the impression that SPF works, matters, and is
picking up steam, by all means. Unfortunately, it's not going to help.

> i have three clients whose domain was used in forged spam
> email and it was a major headache for them, spf records likely would
> have at least mitigated the problem.

Or not.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2554 w: http://hesketh.com/