internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Squirrels in my attic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Squirrels in my attic
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:07:44 -0400

While I have no direct experience trapping squirrels, I know that
there are humane traps I've used for a large rat and I would bet
they'd work for squirrels. You should be able to find them at Home
Depot or Lowes. Squirrels are greedy little buggers (this I know from
my youth feeding birds and how they will steal anythign they can get)
and you should be able to easily bait humane traps with peanut butter
(something fragrant helps) and/or cheese and trap and remove them.

They are cages with a trip mechanism and when the rodent in question
goes after the food the trip mechanism closes the door in back of
them. The one I had was VERY sensitive and easy to trip - you set it
and it held "just barely" and so it's unlikely the rodent gets the
food and gets out - pretty much any pressure or movement at all will
trigger them.

One thing, of course, that becomes a problem is what to do with the
squirrel(s) once you've trapped them. I released the rat I caught in
a wild area near Jordan Lake. I would suggest something similar -
getting the squirrels a good distance from your house. And then
sealing up access areas is of primary importance.

I hope some of this is useful feedback if you go the DIY approach.

Lyman Green

On 4/19/06, wuzzled AT nc.rr.com <wuzzled AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have squirrels in my attic. (Sort of like snakes on a plane, but
> different.) I don't mind houseguests, but these were uninvited, and
> they're making a mess of my insulation!
>
> Anyone have exterminator recommendations? Any idea how much it's going
> to cost? The all-knowing internet tells me it's possible to tackle this
> is as a DIY project, but that sounds a bit scary. Anybody done it?
>
> Ruth

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. (King Henry, IV.iii)