internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Virus, Worm, and Spyware Software

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Virus, Worm, and Spyware Software
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:52:01 -0500

I don't know if I'd say I HATE the Windows Firewall, but it's sorely
lacking in features and capabilities. I'd say that it's better than
nothing but not a lot. I think a professional firewall product is a
very good idea, even if you're behind a router/firewall (though
perhaps a lot less necessary).

I've used ZoneAlarm and Symantec Client Firewall (at work) and the
retail version as well (integrated into Norton Internet Security).
Both seem to function well.

Lyman

On 2/15/06, childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
<childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov> wrote:
> I've used both Norton and McAfee. Either will do you just fine for virus
> protection. ....But! Even if you purchase the "deluxe" (or whatever)
> packages for them that claim to do anti-spyware, I would (as others have
> said) still advise running an independent anti-spyware app, too. I use
> Ad-Aware, it seems to do what I need, and the basic package is free for
> personal use.
>
> Also, I would recommend adding a personal firewall to the setup -
> something like ZoneAlarm is great, or at least get the Norton package
> that includes NPF. Personally, I hate "Windows Firewall," YMMV.
>
> Best,
> Paula

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off
the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the
Tannhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like
tears in rain. Time to die.