internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Virus, Worm, and Spyware Software

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Virus, Worm, and Spyware Software
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:42:33 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Colleen McCarthy" <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>
To: "Internetworkers@Lists. Ibiblio. Org (E-mail)" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:31 PM

Hi Folks,

My brother-in-law asked me which of the following programs were the best for
preventing viruses and worms-- Norton, McAfee, or AVG-- and whether or not
he needed to run spyware if he was running one of them. I told him that I
had always used Norton and had had only one possible issue, and that I ran
spyware because it was free. Neither of these pieces of information were a
good answer to his question. Can any of you answer with more authority?

You mean "needed to run anti-spyware" I assume. Anyhoo, I do not think any of the big commercial AV packages are effective enough on their own without a dedicated anti-spyware software package. I have used Pest Patrol (now a CA product) and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, I recommend Ad-Aware more. I use NIS 2006 (Symantec's comprehensive package of Firewall + AV) but again, I still find it best to have two tools to keep spyware off the machine.

Just my two cents.

Lyman