internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Dumb DNS Question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Dumb DNS Question
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:38:45 -0500

on Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 11:17:46AM -0500, David Minton wrote:
> I read through my man pages, and could not figure this one out, so I am
> feeling pretty dumb.
>
> Is there a flag to add to dig or host to be able to get a list of all
> records associated with a domain? I want to run a lookup on sample.com and
> get all of the listing, such as ftp.sample.com, mail.sample.com,
> test.sample.com, www.sample.com, and so on. I would like to be able to get A
> and C records.

You're looking for a zone transfer.

dig -tAXFR example.com

But most DNS admins disable this by default and only allow it for the
servers with which they're sharing service for the zone in question. If
you find that the zone you're wanting to poke around does allow for the
AXFR, you can egrep it for A and CNAME records. (Not sure what a "C"
record is, so I'm assuming you meant CNAME).

dig -tAXFR example.com | egrep "IN.* (A|CNAME)"

Note that the space before the paren is actually a tab (^v TAB).

HTH,

antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/