internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Registrars, domain names, backorder & certified offer

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Registrars, domain names, backorder & certified offer
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:36:26 -0400 (EDT)

Not that GoDaddy needs another cheerleader, but what the hell.

GoDaddy for domain registration: +9 (i.e. "They totally rule.")

Bob Parson's blog (he owns GoDaddy) can be entertaining from time to time.
I'm sure this one post could unleash a hailstorm of criticism from some
within this group.

http://www.bobparsons.com/WhytheinternetcanbeabadplacetomeetpeopleAmurderinVirginiaTheTaylorBehlstoryt.html

Didja know that Bob made his billions from writing software to help
Christians get closer to their digital bible? Yup. His first company
sold a tool that let you find quotations, browse and search and do other
really, really cool crap with a bible.

Phenomonal then to understand that his company put one of the raciest
Super Bowl commercials of all time on the air. You know the one, the
stripper-looking girl with her top falling off testifying before some fake
senate sub-committee. I don't even watch TV and I've seen this
commercial. Don't act like you haven't seen it. <snicker>

So, bizarre and blatant hypocrisy aside, they are one of the best run
ships in the internet registrar shipping business.

For hosting, I will have to plug DreamHost ( http://www.dreamhost.com/ )
as they have been pretty spectacular. Sure, they've had some outages and
snafus like any other computer-based company. After all, computers aren't
perfect. But I digress. DreamHost has been pretty excellent. And like a
high-quality foreign airline that just keeps upgrading you, they continue
to add more disk space, bandwidth, unlimited domains per account and other
valuable features, like every frickin' day. Can you stand it? I didn't
think that you could.

Check ya later!
dave m.