internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Bob Stepno <bstepno AT mindspring.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 16:39:18 -0400

(Better late-to-the-thread than never?) Despite five years in Chapel Hill and one in Knoxville, my Massachusetts and Connecticut roots showed...

55% Yankee
20% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
10% Dixie
0% Midwestern

Alas, the night-before-Halloween question didn't mention
(http://tinyurl.com/9wtgq) "cabbage night," which was a disappointment, but probably would have added to my higher-than-I-expected "yankee" score.

I also wanted a "sometime" answer on using "y'all" and a "both" alternative on "cellar vs. basement." (When I was a kid, my house had a cellar; my school building had a basement. But I don't know which is what region.)

Come to think of it, I did have one "ant" among my "ahnts." I'm not sure why.

Speaking of "yankee"... Language Log has the best explanation I've seen of the extreme "eats apple pie for breakfast" definition. http://tinyurl.com/9bxbh

expatriatically,

Bob
http://stepno.com