internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Vonage?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Ray <jim AT neuse.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Vonage?
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:06:12 -0400

i figured my POTS line would be my primary biz line and could send/receive fax/modem transmissions. the VoIP line is my second line and is used for all outgoing calls with flat fee, no long distance or limit. the PBX arbitrates all traffic and automagically detects fax tones and routes those calls to a specific extension (of course, nothing is plugged into the fax extension since i don't really care for faxes). if i have to send a fax or use a dial up connection, i can program the PBX to route outgoing calls through the POTS line in the middle of the night when the line does not need to be open for incoming customer calls.

i used to route calls from line 1 POTS out of line 2 VoIP and then to cell phone so customers don't get voice mail when i leave the office. however, it took so long to ring the office first and then ring the external extension that i decided to give folks the option to manually dial the external extension for urgent matters.

the problem with so many hops is that the latency is so bad you almost have to use walkie talkie style simplex communications: hi <BREAK> how are you <BREAK> just fine <BREAK> the phone connection sux <BREAK>

I think, were I in this situation, I might consider getting the VoIP
and using it as my primary voice line. I could probably even transfer the number, then get a new number for the old POTS line and use that
as a primary-fax line. Gets you to the same place (one POTS line and
one VoIP), but gives the fax machine a fighting chance.

begin:vcard
fn:Jim Ray
n:Ray;Jim
org:Neuse River Network, Inc.
adr:;;2610 Vanderbilt Ave.;Raleigh;NC;27607-7247;US
email;internet:jim AT neuse.net
title:President
tel;work:919-838-1672 x111
note:Ask about our Clean Networks.  Established in the Triangle 1997.
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.neuse.net
version:2.1
end:vcard