internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Vonage?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Vonage?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:48:29 -0400 (EDT)

from Tom Boucher:

I'm thinking of getting it as a second line in the house for those few times I need the phone when someone calls my wife.
I'm looking at the 500 min plan basically and want to use it as
a fax line, which if I read right to activate the fax service
on the same line would be $9.99 one time charge.

I'm a little fuzzy on why you'd want to pay a phone company extra to
use a standard telephonic device over the line they're providing you.
How is that charge justified?

On the technical side, Jim Ray's comment is interesting:

JR> Fax and modem tones are more susceptible to interference from
JR> latency in packet switched networks like VoIP with Vonage. You
JR> may experience incomplete transmissions if you go that route.
JR> Circuit switched networks like a plain old telephone line do not JR> normally have the same problem.

I think, were I in this situation, I might consider getting the VoIP
and using it as my primary voice line. I could probably even transfer the number, then get a new number for the old POTS line and use that
as a primary-fax line. Gets you to the same place (one POTS line and
one VoIP), but gives the fax machine a fighting chance.

You could also look into email-based faxing services like eFax (www.efax.com), which basically provide you with a fax machine you
never have to maintain. Although this route doesn't solve the Mrs-on-the-phone part of the problem. :)

HTH,
--Sil