internetworkers - [internetworkers] blog, blogging, blogged

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] blog, blogging, blogged
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:07:22 -0400

Hey all;

I know that many of y'all have blogs, and that many of you (alas, not i)
participated in the Triangle Bloggers Conference... so I'd like to ask a
question or three, and perhaps open a discussion here... or maybe even
start some kind of project???

As some of you know, I have a LiveJournal. I got started writing over
there because I had other friends on LJ, and since then, I have come to
really enjoy it. The social networking features are terrific -
searchable interests, communities, the RSS-capable "friends list,"
customizable access controls for entries - and the technology seems
solid. Yet LJ is consistently ignored or denigrated Out There as being
For Kids or Not Serious, etc etc. As such, I've been considering
starting up a new blog, on one of the "serious" blogsites, for my more
political and socially-framed rants. Yet I haven't found one that
offers anything like the same level of social networking features.

So, here's the question: what blogsites do most of you bloggers use, and
why? What's good about your bloghost, what's bad? Why does no one take
LJ seriously? If you were me, where would you go to blog? (note: my
ISP's web host does not offer any PHP/CGI/etc services, just basic HTML,
so I can't run blogware from my own host - I will need a web-updateable
remote bloghost.)

And would anyone be interested in grabbing the LJ code and using to set
up a "serious" blogsite? Would INW want to offer blogs to members? Could
INW even do so, from our ibiblio home?

Paula