internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Snow

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Matt Pusateri" <mpusateri AT wickedtrails.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Snow
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:06:17 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, January 19, 2005 2:29 pm, matusiak said:
> On Jan 19, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Sil Greene wrote:
>
>> from Michael Czeiszperger:

>>> I was a passenger in a 4-wheel drive with two other yankees coming
>>> back from lunch in the snowstorm. They were complaining about how
>>> the other drivers were going too slow, and then the driver lost
>>> control and spun out :-)
>>
>> reminder: 4-wheel-drive does NOT necessarily mean 4-wheel-stop.
>>
>> what most people don't realize is that driving in snow/ice is ALL
>> ABOUT losing control. what makes you good at it is how quickly you
>> REGAIN control after it's lost.
>>
>> needless to say, i think i'm avoiding going out today. :)
>
> Funny. I wanted to skip out of work early and go home to get the car
> and see what kind of power slides (and other shenanigans) I can get in
> to...

Since I would probably be considered a yankee, I remember going to
empty parking lots and doing everything I could to loose control and
then learn how to regain control. Something unfortunately you don't
get to learn when you grow up in the south. Fortunately there are not
that many times you need it down here and you have much less hills in
most places.

My wife can't believe(I don't know why) as she is stuck out in this is
that everyone trys to go up the hill at the same time. Then they all
get stuck and slide into each other. One thing you learn growing up
in the snow belt is. One person goes up at a time and one person goes
down at a time.

And yes four wheel drive does not make you stop any faster. It gives
you traction. People(yankee or otherwise) then mistakenly believe
because you are not slipping or sliding around that you can increase
your speed which is incorrect. You may be able to safely go
marginally faster as long as you account for increased stopping
distance, which in the end gets you no further along than before.
Plus everyone else cannot realize your increased speed which affects
everyone.

And while it may seem cocky that I can drive in the snow, it's only
from years of practice. But, I realize no matter how good I can drive
in the snow it doesn't matter when I have to contend on the roads with
everyone else who can't. Not because they don't want to be better
winter drivers, but just because they usually don't have to.

I like driving in a good 8-18 inch snow storm :) Good times, but then
I used to four wheel/off road for recreation too.

Hoping everyone gets home safely.

Sincerely

Matt Pusateri
Yankee and newbie to the internetworkers list.