internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: charity for the troops

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rua AT mindspring.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: charity for the troops
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:36:02 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Alex wrote:

>Another idea: last I heard, phone cards were the #1 request among soldiers
>as some of them are facing 3- and even 4-figure phone bills.

I second the idea. I have three family members who have/are serving in
Afghan/Iraq, and our family has done phone card donation initiatives before.
They are a big winner with those serving, and we received several letters of
thanks from the troops. (There were also many requests for cigs, but I
figured folks don't want to contribute to that habit.)

We were advised to send a small note with each card. Some of the troops
appreciate it, as they would like to know who extended the charity to them so
they can send thanks. A real name makes it more personal I think, but to each
his/her own.

Don