internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mac assistance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mac assistance
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:42:19 -0500

Wow! So much Mac stuff, and me with very little time to respond. Please forgive curtness.

On Nov 11, 2004, at 1:25 PM, Sil Greene wrote:

OK, all you mac-heads. Here's a practical matter.

Occasionally some friends come over to my house and we play some music.
That gets recorded to the harddrive of a Mac laptop owned by my friend.
My house has an open 802.11b/g access point, and my Win2k box has CIFS
shares open for writing.

I believe this CIFS is the same thing as a Samba (SMB) share. If it is available on the network, then once the Mac joins the network, it should show up as a network drive.

Assuming the Mac has WiFi capabilities, how do I transfer the recordings
from my friend's Mac to my PC? I mean step-by-step -- where to look, what
to click on, etc. Remember that I don't know enough to open a terminal in
OSX, but I do have basic UNIX familiarity.

Hopefully, s/he could just drop and drag (or copy) the files to the SMB share.

So I guess this boils down to:

(1) How do I open a terminal?

In Finder, choose Applications, then Utilities. Double-click Terminal. I like the Terminal icon in my Dock, 'cause I use it all-day everyday.

(2) What control panels do I use to check if the network is up and
running; or what commandline tools would give me the equivalent of
{ipconfig/ifconfig, ping, traceroute/tracert}?

See above, but choose Network Utility. It does it all. Also, all these things live in the Terminal.app just like Linux/Unix.

(3) What OSX built-in tools, if any, allow network share browsing? Do I
have to activate any special network mode or software (eg Samba) or do I
have to install any special software (eg Samba) to do this, or is OSX
capable of this out-of-the-box?

Should be as simple as opening the Finder and choosing the appropriate disk from the left-hand column. You would only need to enable Samba sharing if you wanted to use a drive on the Mac as a Samba share, but not to use another Samba share. Regardless, any and all network items you'd need would be in System Preferences. From where? You guessed it -- "the Applications folder."

Oh, the joys of Macintosh.

or ...

(3a) Should I just install an FTP server on the PC and use that?

As a last resort maybe...

dave ;)