internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mac assistance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mac assistance
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:46:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Sil Greene wrote:
(1) How do I open a terminal?
(2) What control panels do I use to check if the network is up and
running; or what commandline tools would give me the equivalent of
{ipconfig/ifconfig, ping, traceroute/tracert}?
(3) What OSX built-in tools, if any, allow network share browsing? Do I
have to activate any special network mode or software (eg Samba) or do I
have to install any special software (eg Samba) to do this, or is OSX
capable of this out-of-the-box?
or ...
(3a) Should I just install an FTP server on the PC and use that?

Actually the easiest thing to do is allow the Apple to connect to a share on your PC or vice versa. If conncecting from the Mac simply type (apple/propellar beanie) and k from the finder and it'll open a dialog box. Simply type smb://192.168.1.? or whatever the IP for the Win box is. Should be able to simply drag and drop from there. If you're trying to do it from the PC to the Mac go to the System preferences and the Sharing control panel, turn on windows sharing and it should show up for your PC to mount. Very easy to do either way..

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport