internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Folks - This list use to be fun

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Folks - This list use to be fun
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:13:58 -0500

On Nov 10, 2004, at 11:29 AM, DonBartholf AT aol.com wrote:

We all have opinions. What a boring place this would be if we all thought alike. I welcome and look forward to the diversity of opinion as well as the info on this list. Lately - it has become less of a presentation of ideas and cool Internet stuff to more a presentation of insults. Does the world really need that?

I propose we let these threads end, that we put away our flame throwers and asbestos undies, and consider important matters such as where to meet in December.

Don is right. We should be talking about beer. Thank you, Don!

I think Uzi has the InterNetWorkers Sixth Anniversary and Champagne Jam scheduled to take place at Tyler's Taproom in Carrboro (Thursday December 2, 2004 at 7 PM). Hope to see you all there.

Oh yeah - for the last few December meetings, we have been having donation drives - usually books or clothes - and Uzi wanted to do that again this year. I think this is a good idea, but I've also got a special request. I recently heard from a fellow Auburn alum who is currently stationed in Baghdad. He said his group (which essentially are soldiers doing public relations within the city) could really use certain items. Most of the stuff seems mundane, but when you imagine being cut off from any possibility of getting these things, they take on a whole new importance.

I have begun collecting some of these items and plan to send a package or two over soon. If anyone would like to have anything included (or wants to send their own package), then let me know. Attached is a list of needed items and an image of hope in terms of what we are accomplishing over in Iraq.

dave ;)

---

Hey everyone,

I thought would just write everyone and say hello. I thought would tell everyone how everything is over here in Baghdad a minute ago a there was a RPG that went flying by my window outside of my room and impacted on a building next to us. Of course that is a nightly occurrence. The one good thing is that we do have satalite tv so I get to watch the Auburn games. This is best season I have seen in years. But over here I am a Civil Affairs Officer. So my job is to plan operation for the company to win the hearts and minds of the people of Baghdad. That is not an easy thing to do. I have attached a picture that shows the kind of stuff we do over here. The funny thing is you never see the News Media talk about all the good things we do here on a day by day basis or pictures of us doing it.

Richard W. Duncan
Baghdad, Iraq

JPEG image

Pretty much we can use about everything from snacks to hygine items.
The specific things that we could use are things like:
Razors, Shaving cream, Lotion, Chap stick, Beef Jerky, Gatorade Powder, Toothpaste, Deodorant, Recent published books to read, shampoo, soap, laundry detergent
The school children need pencils, pens, and paper is what the headmasters told me.