internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 22, Issue 6

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rua AT mindspring.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 22, Issue 6
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:40:10 -0500 (EST)

From: James Dasher [mailto:jdasher AT ibiblio.org]

> PS: Am I in the distinct minority of people on the list who have ever
> voted for a Libertarian presidential candidate? Or down-ballot
> Libertarians?

Yes, you are in that distinct minority, but I'm with you. I voted Libertarian
for president, dem for senate, and split pretty evenly D/R for other local
and state offices, depending on specific research on each.

Voting strategy note: Our senate race, Dem B.Castor v Republican Mel Martinez
was very intense and close. I favored Mel's policy positions, but was
disturbed by his campaigning ethics. I point it out, as I think it also
mirrors some of the problems people had with Clinton, and will have with
future politicians. I've had to deal with hiring/firing situations and the
costs associated for over 20 years of management. In general, I look for
quality people/character first, and skills/experience second, and have been
happy with the results.
Therefore, when I see an obvious and unambiguous flaw in someone, ala Nixon's
lie, or Clinton's poor choices, I feel that they could make similiarly poor
choices at critical moments, or perhaps hundreds of small moments. Therefore,
a candidate may stand on the side of each policy I agree with, but lose my
vote for a weakness in character. I would feel much better with a person of
integrity at the wheel, rather than a scoundrel who may have lied about his
beliefs to get my vote.

  • [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 22, Issue 6, rua, 11/07/2004