internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Not a Job Posting

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Smith <paul AT foundryzero.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Not a Job Posting
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:42:39 -0500

Paul Cory wrote:

So, are there good people out there who would jump at this? If not, what's the sticking point? A dearth of good people? Inadequate pay?

This looks like it came as a response to Thomas Beckett's random-web-page-generator post, so I know you now realize you can do everything that is required for web design absolutely free, and in just a few seconds. :)
If you insist on blowing $15,000 though, I believe you'll find it difficult to locate a talented, experienced web developer who knows mod_perl, can produce effective interface design and has the interpersonal skills to work with non-techs, and who'll work for $27/hr. To be honest, it's not that easy to find talented, experienced web developers who know mod_perl, can produce effective interface design and have the interpersonal skills to work with non-techs at any price.
That said, I don't think you're going to have any trouble at all finding freelancers who'll be happy to work on your project with you at the price you've set. Your challenge is going to be to weigh factors and figure out where you're willing to compromise. If I were in your spot, my preference would be for someone who can not only work with non-techs, but can work effectively with /me/. Whatever their level of experience, there will be ones who can do it their way, but [ca|wo]n't to do it your way. I guess my point is that it's not worth hiring someone if you spend all your time managing them.

Good Luck!
--P