internetworkers - [internetworkers] Not a Job Posting

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <pwcory AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Not a Job Posting
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:49:40 -0500

This is not a job posting. It is a preliminary exploration of the current market that has the potential to lead to a job posting.

I am the Wake County Public School System Webmaster. We are looking at the possibility of pulling together some money to hire a contractor to help me out.

I know the general outlines of what we might, and I stress, might, be able to offer. What I don't know is whether we can get somebody good for that sort of money. I was hoping that if I lay out the general outline of our best case scenario below, the collected wisdom of this group could tell me what chance of attracting a good person.

The honeypot looks something like this: personal service contract for 576 hours of work over six months at $27 an hour, a $15,552 total value. Excess hours, if required, would be billed at a negotiated higher rate. The general expectation would be 24 hours a week (3 days), but the schedule would be flexible. The person would have to show up at the Central Office on a regular basis, but a large part of the work could be done from home.

We'd be looking for a programmer with good interface design skills who is capable of working with mod_perl, HTML::Mason and MySQL. PHP experience would translate well. The ability to work effectively with technological neophytes would be a nice bonus.

I see this as being a good baseline job for a freelancer: regular work, monthly pay, but enough flexibility and free time to take on other projects.

So, are there good people out there who would jump at this? If not, what's the sticking point? A dearth of good people? Inadequate pay?