internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Sinclair Broadcasting - might replace my Smallville with anti-Kerry propaganda!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sinclair Broadcasting - might replace my Smallville with anti-Kerry propaganda!!!
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:20:36 -0400

A few things -- I'll try to keep it short (note: upon reflection I
failed to keep it short), since being relatively new to the list I'm a
bit wary of too much back and forth...

> That wasn't the way you approached my comment a couple days ago, and I
> appreciate that.

Thanks! I certainly wouldn't suggest you know less than I do, not
knowing you very well at all -- I was more inclined to find out why
you are inclined to feel 'ok' about Ashcroft. That seems to be a
minority opinion, in the neighborhood of no-one-I-know, so I was
surprised. I do have conservative friends, but Ashcroft is a little
beyond the pale so he doesn't get much support even there. I think
it's the singing ;-)

> The point was that the story was wrong. Not mistaken, but flat-out
> lying about the guy.

Perhaps -- I would disagree with you, but that's a given at this
point. I'll speak to that and these points...

> Rather, I'm trying to portray an intellectual
> environment that could only be called religious. It has central
> tenets, or articles of faith, and it preaches that anyone who disagrees
> is, to use a word you (rightly) abjure, evil.

> Communism was and
> is evil - not a bad-so-I'll-exaggerate "evil", but downright
> exacerbating-the-worst-in-man, slaughter-anyone-who-disagrees evil.

... among others.
Where we disagree I think is a matter of perspective. I have no doubt
that there are experts on your lists and in your reading who are
factually correct and have a much better hold on such details than I
-- I'm not a poli-sci guy, just a duffer as it were.
But your points paint, alternatively by what you're trying to drive
home, with either too broad a brush or too narrow in my opinion.
"Communism is evil" just ain't so. _As practiced_, yes, in many many
cases. But in it's goals as Marx and others set them out? Saying that
isn't patently wrong though, so it's a good point. It's too broad
though for my tastes.
On the other hand "but flat-out lying about the guy" is too narrow. I
have no doubt there is someone out there on the net right now that
claims Bush is both the reborn Christ and the Anti-Christ. He's
neither, but we can find folks to say it. Hell, they even have
"credentials".

The broader view in the news, in my view, represents a sort of
collective intelligence -- a herd driven one, yes, but also self
correcting. I find that conservatives arguing for Bush tend to go way
off to the left or right for sources. Liberals do it to, but I try to
avoid both extremes. Going to the right for your defense points, then
attacking using examples from the extreme left, is not, in my mind,
productive. It's punditry.
I try to take in as much media (as I can stomach) that I trust, not
expecting perfection, from both sides. I've been skeptical of the Bush
Bulge all along, because it seems too Area 51 for me -- but that
doesn't mean it's not true either, given the precedents. Stranger
things have happened. (see also: Nixon)

Watching that collective intelligence, you can see broader context.
Right now, my news sources, confirmed by looking at the 'real' world
(ie, people out of work and competing with their kids to be burger
flippers, caskets, anti-americanism abroad), tell me that the sky
isn't purple. Bush can say things are sunny and getting better as much
as he likes, but they 'ain't' in many ways. That doesn't mean they
won't get better, but I don't intend to see him have a redo.

Similarly, that larger context told me at the time that Ashcroft was
overstepping his bounds. Perhaps the media got the story wrong, it
happens (Hi Dan!), but when it does there is a storm of controversy.
That hasn't been the case with Ashcroft. I get more of a "oops, you
caught me" vibe, which isn't reassuring.

It's hard to get my point across in a few paragraphs, but generally I
would say that we differ in how we look at the news and our sources.

Disparate points you mentioned:

Re: marching in lockstep -- no one thinks they do.

Re: christian convictions -- it doesn't bother me that Ashcroft is
religious, it bothers me that he can't separate that from his job.
Yes, prayer in the office is inappropriate. In the Justice dept? It's
unacceptable. We may just differ on this point.

Re: Racist/Bigoted -- also a place we may differ. In his hiring
practices, his past behavior, I see bigoted and racist behavior. I
don't run around pointing at random people saying that -- again we go
back to context. If enough people come forward and suffer consequences
to say, 'that man doesn't deserve to be guardian of our laws', I have
to wonder, why? Do you honestly thing liberals run around, rounding
people up to make racial/homophobic accusations just to smear an
"honest man'? I don't.

Finally, you said
> balance to the discussion, at least
> during election season, is a lot like bailing out the ocean with a
> teaspoon.
Agreed, because so much is at stake no one is willing to give an inch.
I do think it's important for each of us at least _seek_ balance in
these things though, even if in the end we can all just agree, Bush is

Anyway, I enjoy discussions like this, but I hope we're not hijacking
the thread too much...

Cheers,

Evan

Evan