internetworkers - [internetworkers] Boycott the local UPN and WB network station?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Boycott the local UPN and WB network station?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:52:44 -0400

I wasn't really paying attention the last week or so, busy at work. But the story on the 'sinclair broadcasting group' requesting that all of their stations they own run the vietnam thing about Senator Kerry kinda sticks in my craw a bit. It'd be different if there was a 'where was george' section of this, but right now it looks like an hour long ad for George Bush. Depending on the wind direction each day he needs all the help he can get thanks to those few states that will decide the election.

WB and UPN currently have a small handful of shows I like to watch (Smallville, Jack and Bobby, Enterprise) but if the local affiliate is going to pollute the airwaves with this seemingly obvious hour or so long political ad I'm going to have a hard time giving money to them by watching their broadcasts ever again.

But since they're the monopoly on three shows I enjoy I'm kinda screwed because there is no other source short of buying the episodes months, or years later should they come out on DVD.

I've really enjoyed not being in a 'battleground' state this election year compared to living near Missouri in 2000. The political ads have been relatively tame.

The WB and UPN stations here in Raleigh seem to be missing this in their 'news' sections on the websites. Does anyone know if they intend to fulfill this 'request' from their parent corporation?