internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Linux Advice

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Linux Advice
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:52:08 -0400

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 15:44, Tiny Zombie wrote:
> I have an old-old-old Pentium Pro 200, and I am looking to dip my toes into
> Linux.
>
> Can anybody recommend a good, free, easy (from the perspective of an Mac &
> WinTel user) to install version, with a nice GUI and some decent
> productivity/development tools. I realize this may be a tall order, but any
> tips would be fantastic.

The biggest problem is that 200 Mhz is pretty darn old. While Linux
excels at performance on older hardware, a machine 200Mhz is more than
"older" ... you will find everything pretty slow. That said, I would
recommend a distribution that is designed to be "lighter" weight, such
as Knoppix or Slackware, rather than the "headliner" distributions of
Mandrake, Fedora Core, or Suse. The latter (if you use the latest
versions) are designed for today's much more powerful computers.

How much RAM and hard disk space do you have? This could be a big
consideration too, especially RAM.

> Right now I am in the process of downloading Mandrakelinux10. Am I wasting
> my time? As near as I can tell, it should be done in about 30 hours, but
> that's OK after all "Rome wasn't burned in a day".

If you like, come to the TriLUG meeting tonight and we can get you a
distribution on CD, so you don't have to spend so much time downloading!

See http://www.trilug.org/ for details and directions.

Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |