internetworkers - [internetworkers] Exercise in anti-keylogging

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Exercise in anti-keylogging
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:30:55 -0400 (EDT)

just thinking out loud here. there are plenty of other, better ways to
discover or defeat keyloggers, but this is an exercise in uber-paranoia
(one such method is the on-screen keypad)

keyloggers record keystrokes. better ones record keystrokes and
mouseclicks and whatever other input. but let's say you incorporate the
mouse and some cut-and-paste into your login routine. say, if I begin
typing what might be my password, but then use the mouse to highlight
that, and overtype it with the correct password. or use right-click,
"paste" in the username box.

hmmm. some spyware captures screenshots. not sure how often this is
done. I presume it's not a steady stream, that would be obviously
detectable. sort of cat-and-mouse, now, wondering if the screenshot is
capturing what you've highlit to overtype in the password box.

...just wondering out loud, contemplating the far corners of computer
security. Anyone else got any ideas on this?

Alan