internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hoaxes, Relatives, and Email Etiquette

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hoaxes, Relatives, and Email Etiquette
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'm the last person from whom to take advice on tact. My answer most
likely isn't the polite thing to do. Still, it seemed to work.

My mother is ... /was/ in the habit of forwarding everything to me, and
each included all of the previous forwarding individuals' comments and
email addresses. The last one, several weeks ago, was a complete myth
(the Heinz ketchup thing) and I'd had enough.

I took the time to compile a list of all the contained email addresses, 71
of them to be exact, my mother's included. Then I created a discussion
list and signed them all to it. Next I analyzed the BS email and made my
started by explaining how rude it is to not edit one's forwarded messages
and how it's a potential violation of everyone else's privacy by leaving
their addresses intact, obviously.

I haven't heard a peep since. Not exactly polite, but I don't think it
was threatening or mean, either.

-Alan

In reference to Michael Czeiszperger's message: