internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hoaxes, Relatives, and Email Etiquette

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hoaxes, Relatives, and Email Etiquette
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:21:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

In the spirit of gently bringing my lo-tech kith and kin into the modern
world, I Reply All and make the first line in the reply email say: "This is a
hoax!"

Then, in a new paragraph, I say something along the lines of: "Unfortunately,
the vast majority of [chain letters, to-good-to-be-true offers, emailed virus
warnings, etc.] are not true. I know that you are not the sort of person who
wants to spread lies or tell urban legends as though they were true stories,
so I have a suggestion. There are a number of Web sites that are dedicated to
fact checking these types of forever-forwarded emails, including
http://www.snopes.com/ and http://www.urbanlegends.com/ -- all you have to do
is take a moment or two to look it up."

Then, using the sent message as the example, I provide a brief rundown of how
I found out that it was bogus, including complete urls so the recepients can
just click through. This is an important step as it illustrates that 1) you
can copy and paste from the email you received, 2) you need to use text from
within the email body rather than the subject line, which is too easily
changed, and 3) enclosing textual material in quotes nets appropriate search
returns.

Finally, I make sure I tell the perpetrator that I am sending this email to
everyone that s/he sent the original to, in an attempt to stop the madness.

In my experience, it takes only a few times before people start checking the
sites (or, perhaps, drop me from their To list, which works just as well).

~B