internetworkers - [internetworkers] Hoaxes, Relatives, and Email Etiquette

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Hoaxes, Relatives, and Email Etiquette
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:11:17 -0400

What's the polite thing to do with email from internet unsavy relatives who are regularly forwarding hoaxes, both urban and political. The typical email will have been forwarded many times, and I'm usually included on a very long list of friends and relatives. Should I:

1. Reply only to the author with links to the appropriate section of snopes.com?
2. Reply to everyone on the list?

I've been trying #1 and its not working, since the offending emailers never see fit to let everyone know that the story is a hoax. :-(

etiquette
michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC