internetworkers - [internetworkers] Mac + VPN + Windows Remote Desktop

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tony Spencer" <tony AT tonyspencer.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Mac + VPN + Windows Remote Desktop
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:39:03 -0400

Hopefully one of you Mac gurus can help me out with this issue.

I have a new Mac at home and I want to remote control my work computer which
is a Windows XP machine sitting behind a firewall.

I downloaded the Mac client for Remote Desktop (http://tinyurl.com/hjd9).
I created a new VPN connection to my office.
Once connected to the VPN I can ping my work computer but when I try Remote
Desktop it just times out. The only computer that I can remotely control is
the server that is running the VPN service.

The Remote Desktop service is working on my work computer because I can VPN
and remotely control it no problem from a Windows machine at home.

A Few Specs:
Mac OS-X 10.3 at home
Windows 2000 (server that is running the VPN)
Microsoft VPN with PPTP
Mac Remote Desktop client version 1.0.2