internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] AirPort/Express access problems

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] AirPort/Express access problems
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:17:42 -0400

On Sep 12, 2004, at 10:31 AM, James Dasher wrote:
I normally have no problems accessing wireless networks - except in one place (Cup-A-Joe in Mission Valley, if you're curious).

I've seen people using PowerBooks access that network with no problems. And my iBook joins the network, but I can't connect via that network to the Internet.

Once, after numerous troubleshooting efforts, the folks behind the counter rebooted their router/WiFi, and I managed to have a happy browsing and emailing experience. But I still can't just show up, open the laptop, andget to work.

Anybody else have the same (or a similar) problem? Or have any suggestions for something to try?

James,

I always have exactly the same problem at Cup-a-Joe (12" G4 Powerbook, OS X 10.3.5). I can easily join the local network, but not the Net. Email, web browser, ping--nothing works. I've compared my setting with happy Mac surfers, but I have yet to find a pattern or fix, sorry.

I've traced it as far as the auto-assignment of my IP address, which is somehow incompatible with the local WiFi router. I suspect that I'm somehow being assigned an IP that's already in use, but that's just a hunch.

So these days, I just try for a connection when I arrive (which always fails), then I ask the folks at the counter to restart the router. I'd rather not do it, since it causes a momentary hiccup for everyone who's connected, but I don't know what else to do. Dave (the owner) will usually do it, and some of the braver baristas.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/