internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Number of Web Designers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, info AT mindbenderstudios.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Number of Web Designers
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:49:52 -0400

On Aug 15, 2004, at 6:04 AM, Steve wrote:

I used to keep a database on local web developers so I could track
trends and such. But the water has gotten way to murky to get my arms around
this.
The categories for listing was as follows.
1. Traditional Ad/Marketing Agencies or Design Firms
2. SOHO Developers: College kids or recent layoffs
3. Offshore Developers: Buy 1 get 1 free type of approach <-kidding
4. Ancillary Offerings: Firms that provided other services like software
and
would almost give their pre-packaged web dev away.
5. Association Sites: Sites that came as part of joining a group
6. Community Developers: Citysearch etc.

I'm just looking for background market information to round out a business plan. The BLS lists the number of people employed as "software engineers", and I was hoping someone might be doing the same for web designers. I have market size trend numbers from marketing research reports for performance testing software, but nothing about market size for the general web-technologies market such as application servers, HTML editors, etc.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC