internetworkers - [internetworkers] The Number of Web Designers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve" <info AT mindbenderstudios.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] The Number of Web Designers
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:04:27 -0400

Hey Michael, Wow what a Herculean task.

I used to keep a database on local web developers so I could track
trends and such. But the water has gotten way to murky to get my arms around
this.
The categories for listing was as follows.
1. Traditional Ad/Marketing Agencies or Design Firms
2. SOHO Developers: College kids or recent layoffs
3. Offshore Developers: Buy 1 get 1 free type of approach <-kidding
4. Ancillary Offerings: Firms that provided other services like
software
and
would almost give their pre-packaged web dev away.
5. Association Sites: Sites that came as part of joining a group
6. Community Developers: Citysearch etc.

So hopefully this will give you fodder to piece together your own final
report.

My own 2 cents worth is that web dev and design have quickly moved to
becoming a commodity. There are a plethora of portals that develop handsome
mid-level sites for as low as $200 - $400. I came across one last week that
was
giving attractive packaged sites away as a marketing tool for their
software.
This excludes high end projects of course but this space is quite crowded
and
prices on hi-end projects have dropped tremendously because of the number of
the more mature firms who've migrated to the space exclusively.

So if I can assume that if your doing marketing research on webdev the
company
is considering webdev, me thinks you have three options. Business success
through volume of pre-packaged solutions, join the crowded hi-end world
whose
longevity is questionable, or a unique niche that has not yet been
saturated.

Thoughts!?!

Steve