internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Virus Removal Help Needed!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Virus Removal Help Needed!!!
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:33:19 -0400

Shea Tisdale wrote:

You most likely have spyware. Or you possibly have your email or internet
set to make automatic connections. Check those setting and then download
and run spybot search and destroy or ad-aware.

The program you mentioned, RASAutoU.exe, is the Microsoft Windows
NT4/2000/XP/2003 Remote Access Dialer. It can appear whenever you have you
system set to automatically connect such as in email or IE, or you're your
system is set to handle an incoming modem connection. It is designed to
make a connection without user input - therefore it is particularly useful
to spyware makers.

Thanks for the good advice. I've run adaware a few times and it's cleaned up a bunch of stuff. But I still have the problem. I've double checked the "never dial a connection" option in the internet connections tab.

Is there anyway to figure out which exe or other executable is trying to establish the connection?
--cp