internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Insurance Poll

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Insurance Poll
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:38:21 -0400

On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:39 AM, Tony Spencer wrote:
Now I'm intrigued by the funky investment option.

I'd advise caution there. As Michael pointed out, these products are heavily promoted, and most neutral observers I've read advise against them. The pitch is that they shelter some investments against taxes, but the fees and restrictions are a bit much. This *might* be a sensible option if you have a really high income and have maxed out all tax-advantaged investment options (401k, Roth and other IRAs), but otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

Here's a related Q&A from Scott Burns:
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/bus/scottburns/qa/2002/stories/ SBqa052302.117eecb.html

His analysis is typical--if you separate risk management (the main purpose of insurance) from all the bells and whistles, term life is typically the best value.

By the way, Burns is a personal-finance a columnist I rely on for the straight dope, always recommended:
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/scottburns/

I also quite like Jonathan Clements (WSJ columnist), but he's a bit harder to find online.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/