internetworkers - [internetworkers] Discourse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Discourse
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:59:15 -0400

Someone, it doesn't matter who, wrote:
Good god man, shut the fuck up if you're going to spout off without reading it. either that or you read it and you've flunked reading comprehension 101 from 2nd grade oval tests.

I would like to take this opportunity to add a word in favor of civility in this forum, this community. Many of us hold strong views and enjoy spirited discussion here. But personal attacks and other forms of vitriol do not raise the level of debate. Please think about your words before you hit "send". They affect everyone here, not just the person to whom you are responding.

One guideline frequently cited is to not say anything in virtual space that you wouldn't say to the same audience in person. I think, actually, a higher standard is needed. Some folks have a more assertive style that may play well in real life but, loses nuance and humor in the world of bare-text communication.

In this context, I adopt the simple touchstone of "assume goodwill". This means to assume that all statements made here are made in a spirit of goodwill, and to respond accordingly. It also means to assume that spirit of goodwill in your statements and actions here.

There is no topic to be OT from here. This isn't a tea party, definitely have at it when stating your views. But it isn't a truck stop, either. Be professional, be thoughtful, be cool.

Thanks for your kind attention.

TaB