internetworkers - [internetworkers] NCSU Police Blotter Case

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] NCSU Police Blotter Case
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:47:31 -0400

Do any of you remember the recent news story about the N.C. State Police Blotter website being updated with humorous entries by Wolf Web visitors? I found out today that the kids who pulled this prank are now facing felony charges and jail time.

I'm a law and order kind of guy, having worked with my city's Crimestoppers group for over a year. I have also provided computer security services for a decade. In essence, I've been on both sides of the fence.

What the kids did is technically unlawful, but certainly not worthy of felony charges. The police should be grateful the kids showed them how their password was being broadcast to the world.

The kids didn't steal passwords. They didn't steal credit cards. They didn't compromise any other machines. They didn't even compromise the blotter server, other than the blotter app itself. What these kids did is akin to painting outside of the Free Expression Tunnel. Its a shame that these young people may be punished so severely for what is essentially a victimless crime.

So those are my thoughts. What are your thoughts? What should be the appropriate response? How you think the NCSU Police should handle this case?

Here are some links for background:
----
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/nc/wake/story/1362082p-7485015c.html
http://pwnt.org/paypal.html