internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Bush comparisons to Hitler/Nazis

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Smith <paul AT foundryzero.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Bush comparisons to Hitler/Nazis
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:31:27 -0400

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

I just got in a major doghouse with a friend because I overreacted to
her characterization of Bush as a "Nazi pretending to be President".

You and your friend are speaking different languages. I see where you're coming from: comparing somebody to Hitler and the Nazis is pretty harsh, no matter how much you don't like them, but I doubt your friend is trying to compare Bush with the bad guys from 'The Longest Day', 'Hogan's Heroes' or 'Schindler's List', but rather pointing out comparisons that aren't necessarily directly related to WWII or body counts.
Your friend might have just been trying to push your buttons... I don't like Bush, but I would never make a comparison like that simply because it comes off as an emotionally charged attack rather than valid political debate. However, if you're interested in understanding why someone might make such a comparison, I would suggest you read a wonderful essay by Umberto Eco called 'Ur-Fascism', and see if anything sounds familiar. It's probably not online, but I found an excerpt:

http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html

--P

--

Paul Smith