internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Bush comparisons to Hitler/Nazis

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Bush comparisons to Hitler/Nazis
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:08:40 -0400

I'm a bit behind on email but thought I'd comment.

While I don't see a parallel to Bush and Hitler of say 1942, but I do see parallels to the rise of the Nazi party & Hitler to the current situation.

I commented about this earlier, and how it reminded me of it again when I watched Babylon 5 DVDs a few weeks ago and the story line of earth going into isolationism, etc and the 'temporary powers' given to the president that locked down earth, etc.

To be honest I got chills this morning reading CNN and the Tom Ridge announcement. With the words 'threaten the democratic process' I got tinfoil hat visions of the current government using terroristic threats (existing or non-existing) to postpone the election for 'security' reasons keeping him in office illegally (not that I was too happy with how he got appointed to office, another parallel to Nazi's BTW - Mussolini was 'appointed' similarly)

I'm not a fan of our current president, but I'm not a foaming at the mouth liberal that can't stand the fact that there is a republican in office. He's just done a lot of things/attached his name to a lot of things that I think was the wrong choice for our country and has seriously damaged it, almost irreparably in some areas (Middle East) and has guarnateed that our taxes will only go up to pay for all this mess.

He just doesn't seem very 'republican' from what I remember republicans standing for. Smaller government, less intervention in your day to day life. Now they're after porn, free speech, file sharing, etc. All sorts of things...

Just seems weird, and wrong. Voting 3rd party won't fix it in my opinion, it'd only keep him in. I firmly believe people enlightened enough to support a more than two party system would vote democrat if not given the option. Just a certain amount of 'open mindedness' needs to be there and the recent crop of 'republicans' i've met don't fit that. They're stuck on one polarizing issue and be damn anything else.... usually a religious issue that I don't think we need to drag into this forum. But to me being a republican would mean you wouldn't dictate what a woman can/can't do with her body no matter what your spiritual beliefs.