internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Rant - Counter to theory of Repub-Dem summary -

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Rant - Counter to theory of Repub-Dem summary -
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:20:19 -0400

Don,

Thanks for your perspective, interesting stuff.

You're obviously going to keep on building, despite the heavy burdens we lay on the entrepreneur. I'm right there with you, though I'm happy as a one-man band. (Does that mean mediocrity? Gosh, I hadn't realized.)

I do wish you success. I also hope (for you and yours) that a failure won't leave you hungry or homeless. The mythology of the left is that our fate is driven by circumstances, the mythology of the right is that our fate is determined by character. It seems to me that the truth is somewhere in between, and that we should recognize both factors, with a combination of incentives and baseline security.

As I recall, there was plenty of entrepreneurial zeal even during the Clinton years, so I hardly think we'll all become welfare cheats if the Dems win this one.

There will always be some people who relax into the safety net, and others who plunder unregulated markets. Most of us will do the right thing if offered reasonable choices. Shaping those choices (through incentives, punishments, and regulation) is a legitimate function of government, and a reasonable basis for voting IMHO.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/