internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Now how about a flea treatment question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <joanna.wolfe AT oup.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Now how about a flea treatment question
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:50:29 -0400

Over the counter flea collars have given way to better products such
as Frontline and Advantage
Frontline is applied at the base of the neck and works by the
insecticide running the line of the spine and reaching out along the
dog sides and limbs.
Advantage and like products are perscription pill that work from the
inside - now some offer both flea coverage as well as heartworm
protection.

The advantage of Frontline is that it will kill any fleas (and ticks
to some degree) that may be resident on your cat or dog. However,
potency is reduced if your dog gets wet close to original application
time.

The pill form of these insecticides work by making the fleas sterile.
However, the flea must bit the dog/cat to get dosed with the
insecticide.

While most of these require purchase through a vet, there are any
number of online options - Dr. Fosters and Smith, among others.

Note: Over the counter flea collars (and over the counter flea drops)
carry heavy warnings, they should not be used with underweight dogs,
puppies, kittens and certain breeds - such as Greyhounds. The doses
and kind of insecticide used in the over the counter flea collars (and
over the counter flea drops such as Bio Spot) can KILL the
dog/puppy/kitten who is exposed. There is a documented evidence that
such insecticides should not be used with Greyhounds.

Also, Diazonon - which is often used in the south to kill fleas and
other bugs out of doors can be equally leathal for underweight dogs,
puppies and kittens.

Joanna Wolfe