internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ibiblio site search

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Butch Lazorchak <contactus AT squealermusic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ibiblio site search
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:15:43 -0400

Tony,

We do have our own internal site search which searches the metadata entered by each individual contributor about their site. We call it the "collection database," surprisingly enough.

http://ibiblio.org/collection/

Google will find stuff in all the nooks and crannies, while this will find the terms in the metadata about collections.

Best,

Butch

Tony Spencer wrote:

This morning I ran across a story on pbs.org about leeches making a
legitimate return to modern medicine. I pondered 'What does ibiblio have on
the topic'?
I navigated to ibiblio.org, typed my keyword 'leeches' into the form field
and was surprised to find that it posts the search to Google. Of course
Google is a great search tool but the user loses any sense of categorization
(http://www.ibiblio.org/collection/) in the site. But why doesn't ibiblio
have its own internal site search? Seems like it would be a great senior
design project for some UNC or NCSU computer science student(s).

It looks like ibiblio is running on mySql 4x. Why not take advantage of
that powerful full-text searching?

T O N Y S P E N C E R
Notsleepy LLC
6512 Six Forks Rd.
Suite 502-B Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919.848.0691
Mobile: 415.637.6481
tony AT tonyspencer.com

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Butch Lazorchak
M.L.S., University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
ibiblio LabRat (http://www.ibiblio.org)
Society of American Archivists (SAA)
American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIST)
President, Squealer Music (www.SquealerMusic.com)
http://www.butchlazorchak.org