internetworkers - [internetworkers] ibiblio site search

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tony Spencer" <tony AT tonyspencer.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] ibiblio site search
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:56:56 -0400

This morning I ran across a story on pbs.org about leeches making a
legitimate return to modern medicine. I pondered 'What does ibiblio have on
the topic'?

I navigated to ibiblio.org, typed my keyword 'leeches' into the form field
and was surprised to find that it posts the search to Google. Of course
Google is a great search tool but the user loses any sense of categorization
(http://www.ibiblio.org/collection/) in the site. But why doesn't ibiblio
have its own internal site search? Seems like it would be a great senior
design project for some UNC or NCSU computer science student(s).

It looks like ibiblio is running on mySql 4x. Why not take advantage of
that powerful full-text searching?

T O N Y S P E N C E R
Notsleepy LLC
6512 Six Forks Rd.