internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mosquito treatment

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mosquito treatment
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:00:58 -0400

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the UV bug zappers. They are extremely ineffective for control of biting insects. In fact, some studies have suggested that they attract more insects than they dispose of so you have *more* bugs in your yard it you have a bug zapper. Still, there is something satisfying about the flash, the sizzling noise and the slight aroma of charred flesh. You still get bitten but you also get *revenge*.

Of the solutions that were mentioned, the propane-burning mosquito traps are probably the most effective. Propane burns to warm CO2 and water vapor which (especially when mixed with a bit of octenol) resembles the exhalations of a large and bitable animal. By specifically attracting biting insects the traps catch mostly mosquitoes and biting flies and don't tend to fill up with moths and beetles. By catching large numbers of female biting insects before they lay any eggs a well positioned trap can put a real dent in the local population without the need to go chemical on the neighborhood.

We have quite a large fish/frog pond in our back yard and our experience is that by careful management you can break even on your pond, mosquito-wise. We keep our pond stocked with goldfish. There is no need to worry about the frogs because Pasteur was wrong -- if there is a pond frogs *will* spontaneously generate in it. We still have mosquitoes but they don't come from the pond.

Other options:
1) buy cakes of mosquito-killing bacteria at your garden center. Put them in any outdoor liquid that does not contain ice cubes.
2) mosquitoes can't bite through flannel: wear winter clothing at all times in the back yard.
3) cover yourself with HydroCortisone cream before you go out. You'll get bitten but it will itch less.
4) pave your back yard and lay a culvert for the creek.
5) put mannequins on your back porch so your neighbors will think you don't have mosquitoes.

BigLee